Pages

Friday, August 29, 2014

August's Homework Assignment

Why hello there, everyone!
With August practically extinguished, I thought I'd make one last post before September starts. And what better way to do that then with another fun little linkup for Professor Z's August Homework Assignment! So here's the prompt: 

For August's Homework Assignment, you are tasked to show us how songs or music inspire your dress, mood, art, writing, etc. Make that correlation between the song and the product of your inspiration; or, tell us what kind of music you listen to before you go out for the evening, or before work or school, or while you are relaxing at home. Remember, your post doesn't need to be fashion related. Get inspired! Think outside the box! HAVE FUN!!!

First off, I just gotta say how much I just really love the prompt. I'm very musically inclined (meaning I'd be listening to something 24/7 if I could) so I can't wait to share what's been on my playlist lately. 

1. To start, a lot of this month for me has been sitting around and waiting for my ankle to heal. As such, a song that's been constantly playing in my head as a nice summary of my situation is Regina Spektor's "Somedays". It's a cute little melody about how we all have days that just sortof slip through our fingers and how at times, they don't even feel days from our lives, like our days, at all. Anyways, it's a pleasant gem esp. when you feel like brooding.

2. Other music this month included a lot of the Sweeney Todd soundtrack. After watching the movie, I couldn't get any of these songs out of my head! I'd wake up humming "There's no place like London" and eventually I wound up finding the soundtrack online. This resulted in me playing the entire album on repeat continuously. I really couldn't get over how great some of the songs and just how well they went together. They're witty and lyrical with great attention to score details. I like how the tone can be cynical and dark but hopeful all in the same song. It's quite a feat. Most of the songs were modified to fit the film version but I feel like that didn't detract from their quality at all. In fact, they make quite a few songs more enjoyable & manageable. Plus, the choice of actors was superb; their singing fit their parts so perfectly. I was really impressed both Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter carried themselves quite nicely and Ed Sander's (Toby) charming childish voice was a sweet surprise. Jayne Wisener (played Johanna)'s voice was just perfection. 

A couple of my favorites include: "Not While I'm Around", "Pretty Women", "Worst Pies in London", "Green Finch & Linnet Bird"*, "Johanna", "A little Priest", "By the Sea", "God That's Good". "Wait" and "Poor Thing" were pretty good, too. Basically, I loved the whole thing. 
Here's a great playlist if you'd like to listen to the playlist.


3. So those are the songs I've been obsessed with and have been gobbling up in my relax/free time. When it comes to school or work, I tend to gravitate towards instrumental pieces to get me into the mood. I stay away from songs with words because I get distracted by them waaaay too easily and end up spending more time pondering the lyrics than actually getting any work done.  So the artist I've been listening to lately for work is Bob Acri. He mostly does piano pieces and my favorite from him is "Sleep Away". The reprise for that one is fabulous as well. But yeah, you get the easy listening vibe I have for work-related music.
Sleep Away by Bob Acri on Grooveshark

4. A random song I've been jamming to is the Mystery Jet's The Ballad of Emmerson Lonestar. I have a cousin's wedding to go to in Texas next month and this has been my way of getting ready: listening to British guys sing about the "Radlands". Yuuup. That's probably not the smartest way to prepare but oh wells. It's a good song.

5. OH I've also been getting back into Bastille. I fell in love with this band a little over a year ago but had let it sit on the back burner when our radio stations decided to overplay Pompeii but gosh darn, Dan's voice is like British red velvet and listening to their stuff reminds me how much I adore it. Also, those eyes and that hair, man. Gooood stuff. 

Alright, well that's about it.. Perhaps in the future I'll do another post on my favorite artists and my music tastes but that's it for now. Thanks for reading and linkup yourself so I can know what you're listening to! :)

6 comments:

  1. I love love LOVE the Sweeney Todd soundtrack! What a fantastic musical! Sondheim is a genius! i grew up with Into the Woods and worshipped Bernadette Peters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are definitely right! It is a phenomenal musical and I, too, absolutely adore Sondheim! He's exceptionally gifted and talented! I haven't seen Into the Woods before but I'll certainly check it out along with Bernadette Peters! Thanks for the suggestions and for reading! :)

      Delete
  2. I. LOVE. THE. SWEENEY. TODD. SOUNDTRACK. LOVE IT. Watching the movie has become a sing along for me. HA! And quite a future party inspiration. :) Thanks for sharing the full soundtrack, it's now playing in the background as I type this.

    And thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D I'm so glad you are in love with it, too! I can't help but sing along now as well! All their songs are just so catchy and memorable!

      And OMG it's like you read my mind! I'd actually been debating for weeks whether I should have a Sweeney Todd party or not but now I'm convinced! Your comment was the perfect nudge! :) Thank you so much for the inspiration and for reading and hosting! I'm so glad you enjoyed the soundtrack! ^_^ Can't wait for September's homework! ~.~

      Delete
  3. I have tickets to the Virginia Opera's Sweeney Todd performance this Friday night and I can't wait. I played Mrs. Lovett in a high school performance. I'm pretty sure I was chosen because I don't embarrass easily (read that as I can't sing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! That's so awesome!! Hope you have fun at that performance! :) Mrs.Lovett is seriously one of my favorite characters in the play, it's so neat you got to play her! I'm sure you killed it! :)

      Delete