Monday, September 29, 2014

September's Homework Assignment

Good morning, everyone! I hope you're all excited for Autumn and all the coming adventures that entails (the colors, Halloween, holidays, etc.). So right on schedule, here's this month's Homework Assignment hosted courtesy the most gracious Curious Professor Z. For this month, the prompt was a bit more open-ended which was really fun and I had a great time coming up with my own interpretation. The assignment was:

To interpret the following poem through fashion, makeup, art, photography, etc.:
October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came,—
The Ashes, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The sunshine spread a carpet,
And every thing was grand;
Miss Weather led the dancing;
Professor Wind, the band....
The sight was like a rainbow
New-fallen from the sky....
~George Cooper, "October’s Party"
 

I went ahead and read the whole poem which has such a sweet, sweet ending and the parts that stuck out to me were the great descriptions of the leaves: just how beautiful they were and how they come together into this mesmerizing sight of a party. I especially loved the detail of "The party closed at sundown/ And everybody stayed." That line just really spoke to me because if you've ever thrown/gone to a party and people actually want to stay after it's all over that clearly means they really really enjoyed it and kinda don't want it to end. I've had parties like that and it's just really warming and flattering to know your guests had such a good time; it means that the party was a job well done. Random aside, but I'm actually going to be planning a Halloween party this October for work!  What a funny coincidence, right?! It'll be the first Halloween I host a party! How exciting!! Squee~

Ahem anyways, back to to the poem & assignment. I wanted to find a way to combine those parts of the poem I really liked and came up with this great idea for a drawing. Art just felt like the immediate perfect fit for this assignment; it was my first choice and I'm really glad I stuck with it because it came out quite nicely. It's been a while since I've drawn so it might be a little rough but I hope it's fine nonetheless. I do all my pieces in pencil on regular paper because I'm on a budget. Plus I chose to stick with two dimensional leaves because a) 3D is hard for me and b) it gave me a lot more surface area to work with in terms of design. If I'd gone with 3D, I'd spend more of my time trying to learn how to warp patterns than getting to draw them. While it is originally in color, my scanner only does black & white so I hope that's alright. In any case, here's my work:

I call it "Lingering Leaves"
You can click on it to zoom in if you'd like.
And because I was bored and the scanner didn't do a good job the first time, I even put together a little gif of the piece (in a bad scan, good scan fashion haha):
So there you have it! That's my take on October's Party. What do you think? How would you celebrate the festivities that await in October? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below! :)

8 comments:

  1. I think your piece Lingering Leaves is pretty amazing and if this is your rusty-haven't-drawn-in-a-while-version, well then you certainly are talented. I would love to see it in color but your use of pattern really gives me the feel of the 'dancing' leaves preparing for a fantastic party. Plus, the alliteration of the title as a nod to the final line of the poem was a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much for your kind words!! The color really did add to it but I'm so happy the patterns convey the sense of dancing too. :D That was my intent! Plus you also noticed my alliteration I'm so flattered you caught that! Kudos to you! ^_^

      Delete
  2. OOOOOOOOO!!!! WONDERFUL! Thanks for creating something specifically for the assignment, it's really quite special and beautiful. Thank you for participating. I truly love the patterns! LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I'm so glad you liked it! My art is all about the patterns so I'm happy you like that! Thanks for the fun assignments! I had a really grand time getting into drawing again so this assignment was very much appreciated! :)

      Delete
  3. The animation is adorable. Was that intentional or did Google do it? I think the google animations are too funny sometimes. They make it look like my baby son is talking lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! Haha, that was intentional. I made a gif of it myself because I thought it looked fun. Oh yeah, Google is pretty funny with those too. I'd love to see a photo of that, it sounds hilarious & cute!

      Delete